Photo By carlotoffolo at istock
Many Jacksonville, FL homeowners take their plumbing system for granted. As long as clean, clear water is coming into the home and water, and waste is removed, they don’t think about their plumbing system too often. It isn’t until something goes wrong that people begin to worry.
Although plenty of projects around the house make great DIY projects, plumbing repairs aren’t one of them. The plumbing system in your home is very complex. If you attempt a DIY repair and make a mistake or skip a step, it can result in disastrous consequences.
If you are experiencing any of the issues below, it is best to schedule an appointment for plumbing service immediately.
#1 Slow Or Clogged Drains
If the water in your home is flowing down the drain slowly or isn’t draining at all, you should schedule an appointment for plumbing service. Many homeowners will take the DIY approach and try to use a liquid drain cleaner. If the drain is completely clogged, the liquid drain cleaner won’t reach the clog. If the water is draining slowly, there is no guarantee that the drain cleaning will work. Also, these products contain harsh chemicals that can cause damage to the pipes.
When you call for plumbing service, the plumber can use one of several methods to remove the clog. The method they choose would depend on the size and location of the clog. When you hire a professional, you can be sure that the entire clog will be removed without causing damage to the pipes.
#2 Rusty Water
If you turn on the water in your home and it comes out rusty, it is a serious issue. It is not safe to bathe, drink, or cook with rusty water; therefore, you should immediately schedule an appointment with a plumber.
If just the hot water is coming out rusty, the issue likely lies within your water heater. If sediment is built up in the water tank, it can come out in the water, making it rusty.
If the hot and cold water are coming out rusty, the problem is likely due to old, corroded pipes.
When you call for plumbing service, a licensed plumber will inspect the plumbing system to determine the source of the problem so it can be repaired.
#3 Water Heater Issues
The water heater in your Jacksonville, FL home is essential to your everyday life. If your water heater is not functioning properly, it can make daily household tasks impossible.
If you are experiencing any of the issues listed below, you should call for a plumber immediately.
- No hot water: The issue could be with the thermostat or the heating element.
- The water isn’t getting hot enough: If the water coming from the faucet is lukewarm, one of the heating elements could be faulty, and the water in the tank won’t be able to reach the desired temperature. The issue could also be that the thermostat is not set correctly or it is broken.
- You are running out of hot water too quickly: If your water tank isn’t large enough to meet your family’s hot water demand, you will run out of hot water quickly. If sediment is built up at the bottom of the water tank, there will be less space for hot water storage, causing you to run out quickly.
- Poor hot water pressure: If sediment builds up in the waterline in the water tank, poor hot water pressure can occur.
- Rusty hot water: If just the hot water is coming out rusty, there could be sediment buildup in the water tank or the waterline, adding rust to the water.
- Strange sounds: Strange sounds coming from the water heater is a major cause for concern. When sediment builds up inside the water tank, it can hit the sides, causing a banging or clanging sound. If this issue is ignored, the sediment can crack the water tank, causing a major flood.
- Moisture or water pooling around the water tank: Because this issue can promote mold growth, this is a serious issue. There could be a loose or broken hose or a crack in the water tank.
If you are having any issues with your water heater, schedule an appointment with a plumber immediately. The longer you wait, the worse the problem will be.
#4 Broken Toilet Or Faucet
If the toilet or faucet in your Jacksonville, FL home isn’t functioning properly, schedule an appointment for a plumber to come.
A leaky faucet is a sign that there is something wrong inside the faucet. This issue can also waste a great deal of water, causing a significant increase in your water bill. If you ignore the problem, it will get worse. Over time, the drip will turn into a flow that cannot be stopped.
A broken toilet can be a major inconvenience, especially if you only have one bathroom. If the toilet doesn’t flush or flushes on its own, you should call for plumbing service. The same is true if your toilet runs constantly. A constantly running toilet can waste so much water that it can cause your water bill to increase up to $60 per day.
A broken toilet or faucet should not be a DIY project because the issue could be more complex than you think. It is best to call for professional service and leave the job to a licensed plumber.
Why Choose Bert Norman’s Plumbing?
If you need to schedule an appointment for plumbing service, don’t waste your time on a Google search. Instead, schedule an appointment with Bert Norman’s Plumbing.
We are a family-owned, state-certified company that has been in business since 1985. Over the last 35+ years, we have earned an excellent reputation in the community and the industry.
We have an A+ rating with the Better Business Bureau and a 5-star rating on Google. This should give you peace of mind that you will be satisfied with our plumbing service.
We understand that plumbing emergencies can arise at any time. This is why we offer 24/7 emergency service. If you call for plumbing service during the night or on a holiday, we will get a plumber to your home as quickly as we would if you had called during regular business hours.
To schedule an appointment for plumbing service, give us at Bert Norman’s Plumbing a call today.